Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Crock Pot

Ok, so being a male, the crock pot is one of my best friends. It's pretty easy to create a concoction of simple ingredients - meat, onions, liquid, and  more meat. I love it. Chop it up, add a dash of this and that, pour a cup and a half of broth and voila!, 8 hours later a culinary masterpiece is created.

Is there a Top Chef Crock Potsters? There should be.

However, there can be a downside - being creative in the crock pot world can take you down....and quick. My first dish this week went well; chicken, garlic, onions and spices over a bed of rice. Pretty damn good. My second one was crap. And it looked like it too. Why do you ask? Creativity. It started off nice enough - sweet Italian sausage cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces, rice, onions, beans, broth, condensed soup (doesn't condensed soup make your mouth water?), spices. Then I did the unthinkable - craving pork at that moment, I added an old favorite, Chorizo. Chorizo to me is the Mexican version of the hot dog. What's in there? What's it made of? I don't know and I don't want to know, but give me more! So I added a bit to be creative, and it sucked. Hours later, I lift the steaming hot lid to reveal something that is more akin to being in a baby's diaper than in a crock pot. It was just mush, with a few poor sausages trying to survive to crappy-ness from which it was engulfed in.

Two bites in, and I was pulling out the old cereal bowl. Sugar-frosted flakes have never let me down...

No comments:

Post a Comment