Monday, May 9, 2011

Life in the Whine Country

“I got the best parking spot at Trader Joe’s!” This is my mindset today as I continue my current unemployment status here in Napa. It’s been about a month now since the “workforce reduction” and as many of us know, one goes through a variety of emotions each day varying from manic to just plain goofy.

But I get it. Companies are struggling to make money, revenue is not generated and one of the most expensive assets to a company is payroll. No brainer. Not rocket science here.

So I made it my job to find a job – I’m networking, tracking my progress on spreadsheets, speaking with recruiters and sending resumes via email. I’m actually carrying resumes with me when I’m out and about – you never know who you’re going to bump into. It’s old school, but I think a great way to network – handing out resumes. No, I’m not standing in front of Target and pretending they’re fliers…not yet anyway.

It’s interesting to see how many people are actually hanging out in Napa on a random Tuesday at 10am. Do they have jobs? Are they trust fund babies? Are they lost? Self employed? Self destructive? Do they have fashion sense? Many inquiring questions come to mind as I explore workweek-daytime Napa. Some people I get, and some just are plain strange. It definitely is worth a $4 coffee if you have an hour to kill during the week. The song “People Are Strange” begins to play in my head…

No comments:

Post a Comment